The society was organized in 1858 as a part of the biological and microscopical section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. A group of 27 professionals mostly medical doctors, met regularly to study the natural sciences under the microscope. In 1925 the group was reorganized as an independent non-profit educational entity under the name …Leidy Microscopical Society. The name was chosen to honor Dr. Joseph P. Leidy, one of the founders and preeminent members of the society. The society met regularly at the Academy for 70 years until January 1995 when it moved to the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania. In 2009, the membership is comprised of 30 some people from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. the society meeting notes are published in the “Rock Chatter”, the monthly newsletter of the Rock and Mineral Club of Lower Bucks County.
Click here to view the club brochure.